10.2 Functional Area Information Systems
Functional Area Information System (FAIS)
Supports a functional area by increasing its internal effectiveness and efficiency. Typically found for:
- Finance (FIN): provide internal and external professional access to stock, investment and capital spending information.
- Accounting (ACC): similar to financial MIS, more related to invoicing, payroll, receivables.
- Marketing (MKT): pricing, distribution, promotional, and information by customer and salesperson.
- Operations (OPS): regular reports on production, yield, quality, inventory levels. These systems typically deal with manufacturing, sourcing, and supply chain management.
- Human Resources Management (HR): employees, benefits, hirings, etc.
A summary of capabilities of a FAIS are organized by functional area in the following chart: